Thursday, September 22, 2011

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

I am almost finished with a book that might have saved my soul and changed my perspective on my spirituality.  'The Will of God' by Leslie Weatherhead.

"The phrase "the will of God" is used loosely, says Leslie Weatherhead, and the consequence of that looseness to our peace of mind is serious. Weatherhead's recognition of this problem led him to write The Will of God, a classic that has helped more than a million grieving persons better understand the meaning of the phrase. It can help you as well.

It was during the tumultuous era of World War II that Leslie Weatherhead preached five sermons on understanding the will of God for the congregation at City Temple in London. These sermons became the classic book The Will of God, which has helped hundreds of thousands of Christians explore how God's will is related to God's character and ultimate intentions for us."


I don't normally read this kind of book.  I'm a murder, mystery, suspense book kind of girl normally, definitely not a resource, relationship, spiritual, learning book girl. 


But a friend of mine mentioned it, and gave me a brief description of it.  Something about it grabbed my attention, so I thought - it's short, interesting - I think I will try it.


It has changed my life.


After we lost John Preston, one of the stupid things people said (as happens in any grief situation) was that it was God's will that he died.  They didn't say it quite that directly, but things like "maybe he was an invalid", or "God has a plan" or "God never makes a mistake" or sometimes maybe that directly "it must have been God's will for some reason".


That's a load of crap.  God didn't want my son to die.  He didn't kill my son cause there was something wrong with him.  He didn't want our hearts broken to pieces.  His intentional will is that I don't suffer, that I have peace, that I have what I need.  His circumstantial will is that there is evil in the world caused by satan, and he has to circumvent that evil in order to reach his intentional will.  His ultimate will is that I join Him in heaven. 


I just think you should READ it!

1 comment:

  1. Def sounds like one I NEEEED to read... glad it helped you so much!

    ReplyDelete